Date & time: Saturday 23rd September, 2.30pm to 5pm
Venue: The Calthorpe Project,
258-274 Gray’s Inn Road, London, WC1X 8LH.
(Nearest Underground station: Kings Cross)
Class size: 10 participants maximum
Class type: Interactive demonstration by teacher
- printed recipes for items featured in the class,
- complimentary teas & coffee,
- opportunity to taste dishes at end,
- opportunity to take away any food left over at end (containers provided).
This is a prime opportunity to learn some authentic Indian home cookery, from Shambhu's chef Nishma Shah. Nishma is of Indian heritage, has been immersed in Indian culture all her life and is proud of it, and importantly loves making and teaching delicious plant-based Indian food.
It's no coincidence that many of the items on offer in our catering service are Indian!
Of course, Indian cuisine is a vast field, since every region of India has its particular styles and flavours. Nishma's upbringing is that of north Indian culture and cuisine, and so this is where her focus will be here.
She'll go through the fundamentals of Indian cuisine, namely the individual spices used and how to achieve that authentic flavour by applying the correct amount of specific natural spices from the Indian chef's spice rack. She'll also point out the healing properties of the various spices.
Contrary to popular belief, authentic Indian cuisine is not high in oil and fat. In fact, it is full of goodness and very healthy, as Nishma will demonstrate.
Nishma will also demonstrate how tofu (also a healthy ingredient) forms an ideal substitute for paneer.
So be sure to come to Nishma's home culinary turf and be inspired to whip up some exciting, flavoursome and magical north Indian dishes!
- this class is run as a friendly demonstration by the teacher, with participants able to watch closely, take notes and be free to ask the teacher questions as the class proceeds (printed recipes of the items taught will be provided).
Plant-based cookery classes for adults